Why do so many people have odd fascination talking and worrying about all the big bad hairy problems in life?
We bitch and whine about dislikes and distastes. It is seemingly easier for us to rattle off a list of all the things we hate about our day, and our lives, than talk about the good stuff. I am guilty of this bad habit too, I confess.
Why do we focus on the negative?
Why not be thankful for what you’ve got?
Many times when a friend or spouse asks us about our day, we often respond with “my day sucked”, “my morning cup of coffee was watery”, “I hate my boss”, “I stepped in dog poo” or “I don’t think anyone loves me so I’m gonna eat worms”. Boo hoo.
Change the tape
How about changing the negative tape pattern?
Start by focusing on the positives like:
- “A total stranger bought me a cup of coffee today.”
- “I invented a way to liquefy marshmallows.”
- “My dog picked up her own poo at the park this morning.” or
- “My boyfriend told me I look thin and fabulicious in my jeans”
To combat the desire to spew negativity I think it’s a great idea to check in with yourself from time to time and make a list of your favorite things.
I love lists and I love talking about things that make me happy.
Relish in the goodness and more goodness will come to you. Like attracts like (yes, I’m talking about the power of attraction stuff). It’s just that simple.
Free flow baby
Get out a sheet of paper and a pen and write down a random free flow list of some of your favorite things. Don’t edit yourself. Just let ‘er rip.
Please feel free to share your list here as long as it isn’t triple XXX rated.
Christa’s Favorite Things:
- red lipstick prints (mine) on everything
- eating chocolate sundaes for dinner
- scratching myself
- farts, farting, fart jokes (vulgar, but true)
- post-it notes
- my dog (not a “thing” but still my favorite giggle machine)
- anything purple (why wait until I’m an old lady to wear it? Do it NOW!)
- killing mice (I am also not a Buddhist)
- Giggle On thongs (shameless plug)
- talking to dead people, and their friends
- any opportunity to discuss peeing in my pants
Got some favorite things to share? Leave a comment. Love to hear from you!
If you like this post, please share it.